Thursday, May 27, 2010

CrazyBusyLazy

Yeah. So. It's been a while. I know. It's just been nutso around here, and I haven't had the motivation to blog. Probably because I don't have much to show. Things are surprisingly slow going, and or are supposed to be a surprise.

I've started half days at the clinic. And this year I'm in SNF (specialized nursing facility) - seriously. The insurance companies really have it wrong, I am getting farther and farther away from things that I have any knowledge about because of their regulations about what patients I can bill for. If I can't bill for a patient I can't see them - as the whole point is to be making money. Yesterday, they screwed up the schedule (thank goodness), the patient that was originally on my schedule hadn't been evalled yet, she was a stroke patient. I don't know what they were thinking, the PT and OT working with her were having a hard time, due to the problems that the stroke caused, I would have ended up in tears, not knowing what to do. Going to have to mention that I should really only be seeing ortho patients as much as possible.

The sports season is for the most part over, track is still going in smaller numbers of course. Baseball and softball made quick unexpected exits. Girls LAX was a bottom seed, and so as expected, got crushed in their first game. Boys LAX made a good show, the game wasn't close for a long while, and then they had a chance at the end, but ended up losing. Tonight is physicals night (aka worst day of my year). Football has been having "mini camps" the last couple of days and are having more next week - which to me is crazy, but probably only because it's something we've never done before. I've got mostly all new coaches, again. Head coach is the same and 1 of the assistants, well 2, but the one guy was only with the team for the last few games last year. Lots of freshman this year, we'll see how it goes. I've been informed that the first few days of doubles will be spent at John Carroll - that I will have my own room (imagine that!). I'm trying really hard to work with the coach and keep him happy. I can't handle another year of constant battles, so far all is well. We'll see how he reacts when he finds out that I'm not going to be around at all until August.

i think it's time for some knitting. Since it's no longer a surprise (a surprise visit can ruin things when you don't hide stuff in preparation) I'll show you part of Elliott's birthday present.
He's currently obsessed with swords - anything that is remotely resembling one instantly becomes one in his hands. This one is safer than most. And I made it up all myself, no pattern. I think it came out well, and I'm thinking that I will have to make another one to appease the younger brother and avoid the fighting.

Last week, my attention was diverted to the making of some bookmarks. I know, weird, but they're really cool looking. And they were quick and easy, which is what I was needing.
They're made using crochet thread and a little crochet hook, and a pattern that is written to be a scarf with bigger materials. Pretty cool.

I've made very little progress on the Lucy bag you saw in the last post, been too distracted by other projects.
But it's getting there. Not too much further to go before the bag part is done, then it's on to the straps. I have actually finished something for me too:
The French Press Felted Slippers. Sadly, they're a bit big and I have a hard time keeping them on my feet, so I might end up making another pair.

I've started a couple of new pairs of socks (the Spring Forward socks are done, but for the grafting of the toe of the second one - it was finished to that point during the hour and a half long delay before the LAX game due to thunderstorms, and I didn't have a needle with me for the sewing bit).
I've been wanting to use this yarn for a long time, but at the same time holding off because the dyer doesn't dye anymore due to health issues. But I'm thinking it's a perfect summer time colorway. The finished socks will be really cool, just wait.
These are not a typical colorway for me - Lornas Laces "Pioneer" - but the 2 colorways that I wanted were unavailable in the quantity (2) that I needed, so I ended up getting this. I really like it, it's just more "boyish" than I normally go for. But will be great with jeans and khakis, which is really all I ever wear, so I guess it's a win.

The real reason there hasn't been much knitting getting done is all the spinning that's been happening. I finished up the "Patriot" yarn (finally) so that my bobbins were freed up for the new project.
I think it came out really good. Especially since it's only my second attempt at navajo-plying on the wheel. It's actually 2 skeins, and they're not at all alike, as you see here:
But I still really like the yarn. Hoping to knit them up into fingerless mitts soon. One will be dark, and the other light, but it's all good. The new spinning project is amazing.
6 oz of merino/cashmere/nylon in "Picnic Basket". It's super soft. And so pretty. I'm spinning it up to (hopefully) be a fingering weight 3-ply, for socks. Here's the progress:
Pretty good so far. But I'm really trying to get it done before Tuesday. Which might be a problem. Because Tommy is coming home tomorrow for the weekend, which means cleaning and entertaining. But with Monday being the holiday, I might be able to squeak it out.
A gratuitous close-up of the pretty. Keep your fingers crossed that I find the time.

In other news, I have re-committed to WW. First weigh in is Saturday morning. And I've got the crazy idea to run in the Johnnycake Jog which is June 13. Have I ever done a 5k? Nope - except on the elliptical, which is so not the same thing at all. Yesterday I ran for the first time on the treadmill (I normally avoid the treadmill like it's the plague, and I have never run on one). Very proud of myself - as I managed to do 2 miles at a 5-5.5 mph pace, with a 3 min walk in between the miles. Not bad for the first attempt. I'm sore today, but not as bad as I thought I would be. Just mentioning it, because the blog holds me accountable. Stayed tuned for more progress reports.

No comments: