If anyone out there would like some snow, we got it cheap. Free in fact - you just have to pay for shipping. What a deal! Yeah, it's not going anywhere anytime soon. And if it does, there'll be major flooding. Hmmm. Not a very nice trick Mother Nature.
On Sunday, I did in fact learn to spin. I know, like I need another obsession. Oh well, got it now. Meagan is teaching me to spin with a top whorl drop spindle. She is graciously letting me borrow one of her spindles and donateda sild cap to the effort. Here's my first ever bit of spinning.
And I still got like half of the cap it go, it's the never ending silk cap I tell ya. And then on Monday, her mom came for a surprise visit and they invited me over to play some more, and I spun a little bit of wool that Debbie donated to the cause. I couldn't get any good photos of the wool bit, sorry about that. But then at SnB on Tuesday night, under their supervision, I spun up the white "practice" wool that came in my spindle kit from here. 

That wool was much easier to work with. I'm not good enough to draft while spinning, I have to park the spindle between my knees to pull out some more fibers every spin, but I'm assured that it will come with practice. So here's some pictures of what else came with my spindle kit:
That's a batt of hand dyed wool in the colorway "Erin" (very appropriate for this time of year) that I ordered as an extra to match what I was getting in the kit so I'd have enough to knit a project with, and an unrolled batt of the turquoise that came in the kit.
That is a picture of some of my "bird's nests" - aka, how you prep the batt so you're ready to spin it. The green and the variegated came in batts like the unrolled blue one above. Did you get all that? There'll be a test, so study up. And here's a photo of my "It's Spring" (or at least it will be in a few months) present from Mom.
Isn't she so pretty? And perfect. Thanks again Mom.
3 comments:
Spinning is so fun! I'm terrible at a drop spindle, though. Can't wait to see what that Erin looks like spun up....
I am impressed! Very nice Annie. Now you will need to make sure you go to Fiberfest in June to stock up on spinning and knitting goodies! It is so much fun to see all of the fiber. Cindy
i dont get it. why don't you just buy yarn?
-tommy
Post a Comment