Saturday, April 28, 2007

A Brief History of Knitting (according to me)

Once upon a time, let's say the summer of 2002, my sister Ellen, and a friend decided that they wanted to learn how to knit. So they bought a kit and "learned." So, she was excited and wanted to teach me. I said alright and went with it. I was intrigued. So I went out and bought a small pamphlet thingy that described the basics of knitting. Soon, I moved onto purling, with a little help from my mom. My sister was a little irritated. Then I said, heck, I wonder how easy it is to crochet?! So I went out a bought a kit, and in the course of an afternoon had taught myself to crochet. And seeing as it's easier and faster to crochet, I dropped the knitting needles and went on a whirlwind of afghan making.
For the next three years, I always had a blanket in progress, if not more than one. I made hats and mittens and scarves for my roommates the first year, but after that I stuck to blankets. Needless to say, I ran out of people to make afghans for. So last spring, I went out and bought "Stitch'n'Bitch". And from that, I taught myself to knit, again. But this time, I learned to hold the yarn in the left hand, which seemed to me, so much easier, and more natural. I don't know it's because I did so much crocheting or that I just think it goes faster. And so, for the past year, I have had at least one project on my needles at any given time. My mother thinks it's unhealthy to have so many unfinished projects, but her friend who is a knitter says that it's completely normal. And in the various blogs of knitters that I've read, I think that only having 2 or 3 projects at a time is pretty good.

To this point I have made this: the "Berry Tart" hat from Knitty's website (isn't my goddaughter Kaylee the cutest!!!!) I know it's not the best pic of the hat itself, but it's the best of her in the hat.












And this:

My brother Tommy showing his displeasure at my asking for him to try on the camouflage beanie. He's a Marine stationed in Okinawa and it was like 75 degrees that evening.


My biggest achievement thus far has been: the Samus sweater from Knitty. This is my wonderful cat, Maddie, luxuriating in the pure, undyed, sheepy-ness of the sweater. It seriously smells like the wool was just shorn from the sheep, it's natural wool color. So, think of that when purchasing wool, the dyed stuff has at least been washed.


I have yet to block the sweater, I don't know what I'm waiting for exactly. I am a little afraid due to the fact that I don't know how to block exactly. I can read the directions, but in each book or magazine I read, they outline a different method, so I'm not quite sure which to do. I'll get around to it eventually. Not in too big of a hurry, hopefully spring has finally come to northeast Ohio.

No comments: