Thursday, January 3, 2008

First Project of the Year

And it is... the Bellatrix Socks by Gigi Silva. I first stumbled across the pattern this summer, but didn't have the right yarn. I mean, the pattern is based on a Harry Potter character, and although most of you think I'm a dork for loving HP, it had to be just right. Enter Black Purl. As soon as I saw this yarn on the Loopy Ewe, I knew that I HAD to have it. It was just so gorgeous. And then once it was in my hands, I knew, it had to become Bellatrix. And then I had to wait because I had so many other things going on. So behold, Bellatrix.

































Seriously, for those of you who have read HP or have seen the last movie, is this yarn not absolutely perfect? It is rare that a project works out so well that the yarn is perfect for the pattern and ends up looking better than you hoped, and this is how this sock is for me so far. That's how far I got yesterday. The leg went SUPERFAST! (as Leo would say). Love it!


I also managed to finish the front of the Notre Dame sweater - there really wasn't that much left. So here's where it stands.














I'm going to replace the stitch holders with waste yarn, this after realizing that it still needed to be blocked, and I think that the plastic holders won't fare as well as some yarn. But I think it's coming along very nicely. Onto the sleeves.


Yesterday, I came to the conclusion that I have a child sized head. In circumference at least. I broke down and tried on Kaylee's tam, since my hair wasn't in a pony tail. And it fit. But not in length. So, I'm thinking that I'm going to make it again, with fewer cast on stitches and more increases so that the top, patterned part is the same, but it will fit her head. Maybe then, I can give her the hat I promised back in November. Here's Mom modeling it.














She's so going to kill me when she sees this. So leave comments on how cute and very Scottish she looks.

5 comments:

Natalie Rush said...

That yarn is perfect and the sock looks great!!

Ellen said...

when's the golf outing?

Anonymous said...

Jan--You look very cute and very Scottish! (How's that, Annie?)-Paula

Anonymous said...

How did you get Mom to pose for a picture? Nice lid.

C3

Sourire11 said...

Your mom does look super cute...

The sock looks awesome! I have yet to order anything from the Loopy Ewe because I'm afraid it's a slippery slope...