I have been all about the hats lately. You've already seen the Pumpkin Hat - that was made for and delivered to niece Sarah this week. Supposedly it fits - I haven't seen photographic evidence, but I refer you to the comment left on my last post.
After I finished Sarah's hat, I started one for her brother (I'm an equal opportunity knitter/auntie, and it wouldn't have been nice to send one to one child and not the other). Master Charles is currently very into all things pirates. So, I obviously had to make a pirate hat. So now that it's been delivered, I can share... the Scurvy Pirate Hat!

So so so so so cute! I can't even tell you how much I love this hat. It's a heavily modified version of the
"We Call Them Pirates" Hat by
HelloYarn. May have to make another one. No seriously, I hear that it's not quite long enough to cover his ears, so another one is in order.

So, Sunday rolled around and I was still on my high from finishing the Pirate hat, so I decided that I wanted to make another hat. So I did. I cast on for
Thorpe just before dinner, using my Oh Cherry Baby
handspun yarn, and by the end of the
Steelers game, I had this:


Happy happy happy. Love this hat. Love how the yarn worked up. See those stripes? Yeah, it did that on it's own, no cutting the yarn and switching to a new spot to get a different color on my part. Don't ask me how I managed to get self striping yarn in a 2 ply that was my second ever spinning project, I honestly don't know. And I honestly know that I couldn't get it to do it again if I tried. Makes me love the hat even more.

I have since stopped with the hats, am now working on yet another Christmas present, sadly for someone who reads the blog and therefore you will see no pictures. That's the problem with knitted presents - and the fact that I like surprising people.
2 comments:
Your hat totally needs some braided strings coming from the ear flaps with fuzzy balls on the end, then it would be perfect!
Your niece and nephew are totally adorable in their hats, I promise to provide photographic evidence soon. Charlie wore his hat the other night for hours, and only took it off because he got too hot while dancing through 'DWTS'.
Oooh the handspun hat is beautiful! I need to check out that pattern - I have a few balls of handspun that I need a pattern for...
Post a Comment