It's a good day* today. It's not snowing anymore. The temperature is in double digits. It's a "holiday" so the work schedule is a bit off, which makes it more like a 4 day weekend (we had a cold day on Friday). And most importantly - the Steelers are going to the Super Bowl!!! There were a few sketchy moments yesterday (the third quarter) and I was banished back into the living room (where I watched the first half, and most of last week's game) and since I am a creature of superstition like that (can't be helped, I'm surrounded by athletes) I went and finished watching the game there. Now comes the waiting, I'm not so keen on the 2 weeks of down time (except that it gives Hines Ward a better chance at being healthy).
That's an awful lot of side comments in one paragraph! Anyway, I'll move onto the knitting stuff. I started a pair of socks last week. I couldn't help myself, it had been a while since the last pair, and not having a pair of socks on the needles just feels wrong. I know, I'm weird like that.

These are the Herringbone Rib Socks. They're in a relatively new book called "Knitting Socks with Handpainted Yarn" that is on order (yet another purchase from Amazing Race gift cards), but this pattern also appeared in the Winter '08 edition of Interweave Knits, which is how I have it. The yarn is Arucaunia Ranco Multy, colorway 304 (very inspired name I know).

Most of my knitting time has been devoted to the Behemoth. That's the new name for the Hidcote Shawl - because it's getting huge! I think I'm up to more than 400 stitches per row. Oi.

I'm done with chart 8 (out of 10 if you'll remember) and I'm faced with having to order more yarn. I'm on the last ball and I know that it won't last the remaining 36 rows plus loose bind off. Boo. I was hoping not to have to get more. Oh well. So this might go on hold briefly while I have to wait for yarn, but it's in the home stretch.
I managed to get through the first half of the Flutter Scarf last weekend, haven't really worked on it since, if that tells you anything.

So pretty, but so frustrating. The pattern is simple, the running out of yarn and therefore having to rip and reknit not once, not twice, but three times is crazy annoying. Not to mention having to fight with the second ball of yarn in a futile attempt to match the color repeat. I mean really - 3 rows to go and I run out of yarn, and then it takes an hour to get it wound into a ball because it knots itself terribly, only to find out that the specific combination of bright purple and pink does not exist in the second skein of yarn? Freaking unbelievable.

I got some plying time in yesterday while waiting for the game to start. This is the superwash merino I got in my last spindle and fiber club shipment (for links, scroll through the last post, I'm feeling lazy).

So to review, 3.77 oz of superwash merino in "Nan's Cottage". And a photo of the finished "Rockin Around".

I got some booty in last week too. I used two of the KnitPicks giftcards (and $10 of my money to get free shipping) and managed to get all this:

I need to get cracking. Somehow, St. Patrick's Day is turning into a second Christmas for me with all the knitting I'm planning on getting done. Wish me luck.
Finally, I can show you one of the last Christmas presents. The Selbuvotter mittens I made for Elizabeth.



Finally convinced her to come to the East side yesterday, and I made her wear a Steelers sweatshirt even though she's turning back into a Browns fan (yuck!). As a disclaimer - these photos were taken around 10:30 pm, and Liz had been called into work at 3:45 am after the sprinkler pipe in the lobby of her hotel burst. She then got to go back to work a few hours later, when another pipe burst. I promised that I would explain that, since she didn't feel that she was looking particularly well.
The Mittens of Doom will be posted about this week (I promise) and that will be the end of this year's Christmas knitting. Just in time to start next year's... I'm not waiting til the last minute this year. You'll see.
Now for the pretties. My wonderful sister brought me back some presents from her vacay in Key West. Amazingly she found a yarn shop while down there.

That's a skein of Fiesta Baby Boom in "Tutti Frutti" because it just looks like it's vacation-y. And it does. The blue, is some Tilli Thomas 1oo% silk with beads. How cool is that? I can't wait to find the perfect pattern to knit it up.

And finally, since she hasn't had any blog time in a good while,

it appears that Miss Maddie has finally accepted the new couch into her home.
*This was written 1/19/09, but not posted until 1/20/09*
No comments:
Post a Comment