Monday, December 29, 2008

The Big Reveal

I hope everyone had as great a Christmas as I did, and that you've all recovered. This should be the first post of the week, probably have 2 more later, at least that's what I'm planning. We'll see if I get them done. Anyway, this is my ode to all my Christmas knitting that I'm sure you all grew tired of hearing about. Now you get to see it all. Well, almost all of it. There's a gift that hasn't been gifted yet. And another that gets it's own separate post...

Alright, knitting. I made a lovely scarf for my sister-in-law Rachel for her birthday. What? I know I said Christmas knitting, but Rachel's birthday was the 22nd, so it's close enough.

It's the Diagonal Lace pattern, out of Elsbeth Lavold's Silky Flamme. Amazing yarn - merino, alpaca, silk. I love the way it came out, and by reports so did Rachel.

Next, we have a sweater for my beautiful niece Sarah.
It's the Garter Yoke Baby Cardi. Easy peasy pattern, much like the February Baby Sweater - just without the lace. I used Cascade 220 Superwash for ease of care. I'm hoping that it fits - or will fit. Not sure that Sarah was accomodating enough Christmas morning for a fashion show. I almost didn't want to send it off, it was too dang cute.

Speaking of knits for kiddos, Mason and Elliott both got hats. Mason got a Toasty Topper made from more Cascade 220 Superwash (it's a great yarn, what can I say?)
Really quick to make, got most of it done in an evening at Ellie's watching Home Alone and then Santa Claus (a favorite of mine from when I was a kid). And it does its job - in the 20 or so minutes that it took for Paul to load up the car that Mason had it on, he was unable to remove it from his head. I'm sure he'll figure out a way, but initially it was stuck on, he just didn't want to pose for photos.

Elliott got a Hot Head Hat. I made some modifications from the original pattern, knit it top down and sized it for a small one.
It turned out great - but I'm biased. I used Encore worsted double stranded for the top, and then for the flames I used a strand of Swish DK in a bright red (the actual name of the colorway eludes me and I can't find the ball band) and two strands of a fingering weight yarn dyed by my friend Rebecca in "En Fuego". Worked perfectly.

Onto some footwear. I made my sister-in-law Peggy some Fuzzy Feet slippers.
No, she doesn't have feet the size of a dragon, the slippers are knit huge and then felted down. I just didn't get a pic of the finished product before gifting them. I'll get one when she brings them back to be non-slipped. I was crunched for time and didn't get to put on some latex caulk as a non-slip bottom. Next year I'll plan better (hahahaha!).

Sticking with the footwear theme, I made my Mom what I consider to be a bit of a gag gift. Anyone who knows my mom will understand why I laughed when I found this pattern and knew that I had to make them.
Ta da! Felted Flip-Flops! Well, in that photo they're not yet felted, and I haven't gotten a pic with them on Mom yet, maybe next post. I found the pattern on the Loopy Ewe a few weeks ago (yes, this was the late addition to the Christmas knitting list I was griping about) and had to have it. I thought that they would be super quick (not so much) and super easy (not hard, but not as easy as you would think). Still, I think they're great. They're also awaiting the non-slip process.

So, that's about it for the secret knitting. I survived, almost made all my deadlines (stupid Moose Mittens - they'll get a post of their own, they've earned it). The gift yet to be gifted will get face time after it's been gifted (Liz, if you're reading this, you need to come visit! It's your turn!) Tune in later for the post about my amazing Christmas present!

No comments: