Friday, December 21, 2007

The Home Stretch

In response to my brother Tommy's comment on the last post: You should know that all Algier Family Christmas trees lean, a bit. It only leans a little, not nearly as bad as some in the past. This year's is an example of a good pick. Seriously, do we all need to be reminded of the Christmas tree that was wired into the wall? And it still managed to look like it was going to fall forward. A real tree has imperfections, that's what makes them so great. So back off pal!

I finished Bridget's Mittens (aka Project 3-modified) yesterday. I also managed to crank out a Calorimetry to match. Just have to attach a button and they can be wrapped.


Still chugging along on Project 4. It'll be done tomorrow most likely. Debating on whether or not to go forward with Project 5 - several comments by the recipient have me rethinking. We'll see.

Speaking of finishing - take a look at Wrapping Central.
And as for cookie baking, go have a look at Ellie's blog to see how I spent my evening yesterday. Let me tell you the story of the Green Christmas Tree cookie dough. We decided to double all the recipes. No problem. Let me say that Ellie does not have a mixer. "This one thing you must remember or nothing that follows will seem wondrous." (from "A Christmas Carol") So I start with the butter. All three sticks. Then add the sugar, 2 cups, and 2 eggs. Then the almond extract.

Then, I pause and try to remember how mom continues with her recipe. Does she add the green dye now? Or wait til later? Hmmm. Ellie and I conclude, it goes in at the end. So I begin to mix in the flour. All. Seven. Cups. By. Hand. After 5, I gave up on the spoon and started with hand kneading. By the time it's all in, we've decided that it's going to be tricky to get the food coloring in. Hmmm. Call mom. Mom says she adds the color before the flour. Mom would have been laughing if she hadn't been sick and feeling yucky. Can you hear her laughing? So, food dye kneading commences. And continues. And continues. And continues. And finally, after 20 minutes with both me and Ellie working on small chunks, it's green enough.

And then, we pull out the cookie press. Now, I won't mention the brand of the press, but they like to throw fancy smancy little parties where you feel compelled to spend more money than you should on kitchen supplies. The dough goes into the press. The press is properly operated (we checked the directions). No green Christmas trees come out. Repeat. Same effect. Grr. So the endeavor is abandoned. For another day, when a KitchenAid mixer is available to beat it into submission. And the cookie press from mom (circa 1972) can crank the little devils out.

The evil green tree dough is still in time out in the fridge right now, soon to be dealt with. So I leave you with the promised photos of my Christmas cards, hope everyone enjoys them!
P.S. I found some absolutely gorgeous yarn at KotS yesterday. So pretty! It's Cascade Pastaza. Like my favorite color ever.



1 comment:

Sourire11 said...

Your mittens and cards are beautiful!

Hope you had a wonderful Christmas!